Enter Dark Mode Instantly in iOS 13
Dark Mode is a headline feature in iOS 13, but it may not be something that you want to enable all of the time and it is open to being turned on and off multiple times on any given day. There is a way to make sure it is always just a swipe and a click away.
2. A new control - When you swipe down the Control Centre the Dark Mode button will now be presented to you. Tap it and your iPhone will immediately go dark. 3. An instant change - This movement will quickly become second nature and will let you go dark in poor lighting conditions or when you are in an app that suits the environment better.
Optomized Battery Charging in iOS 13
This new feature may only look like a small setting in the Battery area, but it could potentially keep your iOS device running at peak performance for longer. It will only charge past 80% when you really need your device to have this much power which should help to reduce long- term battery aging – got to be a good thing.
Full-screen Interactive Lyrics in iOS 13
Apple has completely changed how lyrics are displayed in iOS 13 and added a feature which is brilliant fun from the first time you use it. The time-synced lyrics appear in big and bold lettering which really does keep you more interested in the track than you may have been otherwise. It’s a true highlight of Apple Music now.
2. It really works - The synchronization with the song is brilliant and in our tests they stay in time throughout every song we tried. They add a lot to the Apple Music experience.
The QuickPath Keyboard in iOS 13
Swipe keyboards are not new and Apple is late to this game, but the new QuickPath feature works so well you would think that the company had been developing it for many years. It may have derived from a third-party company, but you really can just start swiping and then watch the text magically appear. It could easily become your most used new iOS 13 feature.
Make Safari Text Bigger on MacOS
If you know Safari then you’ll know that clicking on the ‘View’ menu presents options to zoom in and out. However, this enlarges everything, including the images, so if you just want to bump up the size of the text then there is a neat trick. Just hold down the Option/Alt key while clicking on the ‘View’ menu and then zoom options will change to ‘Make Text Bigger/Smaller’.
Delete Old Apple Watch Backups on iPhone
To conserve storage space on your iPhone, old Apple Watch backups can be deleted by going to Settings>General>iPhone Storage and then scrolling down to the ‘Watch’ entry. Tap this and you will probably see a list of Watch backups at the bottom of the screen. Now simply swipe to the left on one and the option to ‘Delete’ should appear. Tap on this to remove the file, but aim to keep the most recent, just in case.
What Can I Do if I’ve Forgotten my iCloud Password?
2. Switch devices - A message with instructions will then be sent to all of the devices where you are signed into iCloud. So switch your attention to one of these devices and tap ‘Allow’.
3. Enter passcode - Enter the code that you use to unlock your device to reset your Apple ID password and then type in the new password. This will then be saved and used to sign in from now on.
How are iCloud Photos and My Photo Stream Different?
Emergency Bypass for Calls on iPhone
Adjust Volume & Brightness in Small Increments on Mac
Is it Possible to be Notified when I Receive a Reply to an Important Email?
2. Tap the flag (reply arrow in iOS 13) - At the bottom of the screen will be a row of icons, including that familiar one to share. In this instance, tap on the flag icon to bring up a menu of options relating to the email thread.
3. Tap to notify - Now tap on the ‘Notify Me...’ option (you may have to scroll down aways) and you will receive an alert whenever anyone in that particular email thread replies. Handy to ensure you never miss a crucial reply.
Mac Compatibility for MacOS 10.15, Catalina
Just because you can install Catalina, you won’t necessarily benefit from all it offers. For example, Macs with a T2 chip gain Activation Lock, protecting their contents from thieves – but that’s only a small proportion of models. And while Apple’s Metal graphics API continues to gain features, not all of them work on all GPUs, so you may only see improved game graphics or video editing performance on more recent systems.
HOW TO Set up Time Machine
2. Choose a disk - Choose a disk to use for your backup and connect it to your Mac. If you’re not asked if you want to use the disk for Time Machine, go to System Preferences > Time Machine or open Preferences from the Time Machine menu bar item.
3. Copy disk data - If your disk isn’t properly formatted for Time Machine, you’ll be prompted to erase it, so make sure you’ve copied its data elsewhere before agreeing. Choose Backup Automatically to start regular automatic backups.
HOW TO Restore files in Time Machine
2. Restore file or folder - Once you’ve found the file or folder you want to recover, click Restore to put it back in the same location. Or, click on the gear icon in the Finder toolbar and choose ‘Restore to’ then navigate to where you want to put the file.
3. Restore Mac - To restore your Mac from Time Machine, restart while holding Command+R. When you see macOS Utilities, choose ‘Restore from Time Machine backup’. Click Continue until you see a list of backups. Choose one and click Continue.
HOW TO Migrate backups to a new drive
2. Copy backups - To briefly turn off Time Machine, go to System Preferences > Time Machine and uncheck Backup Automatically. Now copy the folder ‘Backups.backupdb’ from the old drive to the new one. Type in an admin name and password.
3. Old and new - Go back to System Preferences > Time Machine. Cick Select Disk, choose the new one then tap Use Disk. You can now turn Time Machine back on and subsequent backups will be saved with the old ones on the new disk.